SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres
Potential Side Effects and Complications
Almost all treatments and drugs can produce unwanted side effects. Some side effects can be minor, making you feel uncomfortable, but a small number can be serious. Everyone is different in how he or she reacts to a treatment.
Many patients experience the following:
- Abdominal pain and/or nausea that normally subsides after a short period and/or with routine medication.
- Mild fever for up to one week.
- Loss of energy for several weeks.
If you experience any of these or other unwanted reactions, it is important to tell your doctor right away.
In rare instances and even in experienced hands, there is the possibility that a small number of microspheres may inadvertently reach other organs in the body, such as the gall bladder, stomach, intestine or pancreas.
- If SIR-Spheres reach these organs, they may cause inflammation of the gall bladder (cholecystitis), stomach (gastritis) or intestine (duodenitis).
- These complications are rare, but if one of these occurs, it normally requires additional treatment.
- Your treatment team will have received training to minimize these risks and prevent them from happening. They will track your progress regularly through blood tests and scans.